Requesting An Audition
You may contact the Chorus Manager at any time during the year to request an audition. If you call between audition periods, your name and contact information will be added to a list and you will be notified as soon as the next round of auditions is scheduled.
Katie Baughman, Chorus Manager: 202.244.3669 x111; email@example.com
Please read the following information carefully before requesting an audition.
Schedule: Auditions for new applicants are scheduled throughout the season.
Length: Your audition will last 20 minutes.
Re-audition: All singers will be asked to re-audition within one to three years.
- Full members are asked to commit to most, if not all, of the rehearsals and performances designated for the full chorus on the performance schedule.
- The Choral Arts Chamber Singers are recruited annually from the full membership and perform in their own series of concerts and special events across the course of the Choral Arts season. Other concerts or events requiring a reduced ensemble of singers can arise during the course of the season, and full members are recruited through open solicitation or by individual invitation. Participation in reduced ensemble performances is not a requirement of full membership.
- Guest choristers are qualified singers who may wish to sing with the Chorus in one or more performances during the course of the season, but who are not available and able to commit to the requirements of full membership.
- The Artistic Director may invite a guest chorister to sing in a given rehearsal/performance cycle if the need arises. Guest choristers may request to sing in a given rehearsal/performance cycle if he or she so desires; inclusion is at the discretion of the Artistic Director. There is no absolute guarantee that a guest chorister will have an opportunity to sing with the Chorus during the course of the season.
During the audition you will be asked to demonstrate some or all of the following:
Range: Singing scales and other vocalizations, and possibly a familiar song in several different key signatures.
Pitch Perception/Tonal Memory: Matching a series of tones played on the piano and singing tones at intervals above or below a given tone.
Rhythm: Clapping or speaking printed rhythmic patterns.
Sight-singing: Performing a short passage of music presented to you at the audition.
Performance and Tone Quality: Singing a short a cappella solo. If you are accustomed to solo singing, bring something you know well that shows off your voice. If not, choose something with which you are comfortable (a hymn, folk song, or your voice part from a choral work).
Auditions are most often held at St. Alban’s Episcopal Church.
Address: 3001 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016. Google Maps
- The church is located at the corner of Wisconsin & Massachusetts Avenues, NW. The entrance to the church driveway (Lychgate Road) is on the East side of Wisconsin Avenue, between Washington National Cathedral and Massachusetts Avenue.
- Ground-level parking is available on the street (DC parking restrictions apply) and on the campus of St. Alban’s Church and Washington National Cathedral (after 3:30pm Monday – Friday, and all day Saturday & Sunday).
- Underground parking is available in the Cathedral’s parking garage (for detailed information on rates and hours of operation please visit cathedral.org).
Applicants for Full Membership: You will be notified about your audition results by phone or email. Qualified singers for whom there are openings will be invited to join the Chorus for the current season. Qualified singers for whom there are no openings will be asked to join the Guest Chorister roster for the current season. Guest Choristers may be invited to become full members if vacancies occur during the season, to substitute for a given rehearsal/performance cycle, to augment the Chorus if required, or to join the Chorus for optional performance opportunities.
Applicants for Guest Chorister: You will be notified about your audition results by phone or email.